Monday, August 2, 2010

How I Know It's Hot

It's hot. Not that I'm complaining, believe me...this is what I dream of when I'm cranky and whiney in February. But, it is hot, I'm just saying.

We've had the air conditioner on far more this summer than any other summer, I think. And I hate having the air conditioner on; I'd far rather have the windows open and let the breeze in. (When there is a breeze, mind you.)

How I Know It's Hot:

  • Toby has spend the day asleep on the glass coffe table in the living room. He has reached a state of, as my friend Barb says, "cat butter".
  • When I went for a run with my friend Tracey this morning, I felt as though I was running with a wet sleeping bag over my head.
  • The bathroom door will only open with some strong persuasion and a good talking to. Guests are held hostage until we can wrestle the door open and let them out.
  • I base my week's menus on what does not heat up the kitchen. We are likely to have cereal and cold beans for dinner. Toast is too much work.
  • There is very little point in ironing anything. All my clothes look like I've been wrestling pigs in a sauna by the time I get to work, no matter what I do.
  • Every drinking glass that gets put down leaves a small lake on the table.
  • When you get in the car, you end up trying to steer by ESP, since holding the steering wheel is impossible until the air conditioner ramps up.
  • Ice cream is an acceptable choice for breakfast.
  • I see way, WAY more of other people's bountiful flesh than I ever want to. Yesterday, at McDonald's on the highway, there was a woman wearing a bathing suit and a bra, and little else. I get that it's hot, but come on.
  • The cicadas are buzzing like jet engines all day and well into the night.
  • Our neighbours went away for a week and they came back to find their pool water is the same colour as their lawn.
  • All I want to do is lay in the backyard and let my mind wander. Oh, wait...that happens all year round.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the kitchen cooking thing. I can't remember the last time our oven has been on.

Ah, cicadas. Now that's a sound I haven't heard in a long time. We get to hear the mega base that has acoustic intensity of a shuttle lift off from the passing vehicles from the hood.