Tuesday, December 18, 2007

No Such Thing As An Ordinary Day

The day started as usual: an insistent cat with a determined agenda. I got up and started what I thought would be an ordinary day. But, I have come to realize, that there is really no such thing. Every day, at some point in it, brings be to the corner of " Well, Would You Look At That Street" and "Holy Shit Boulevard".

The van is in the shop at the moment, because it was making some truly ghastly noises that we couldn't ignore, no matter how loud we turned up the radio, and a warning light of some sort kept coming on and going off at random intervals, which made it hard to take it seriously. (Whenever it would come on saying "BRAKE!" in the most gently alarming tones possible, the Mister would turn to me and say "it came on again", like I A) didn't know it and B) could do something about it.) The upshot is, I had to walk to get my errands done today. Which isn't a big deal, but because of the snow we got the other day, the walk was a tad more adventuresome than usual. It was like the guy driving the little sidewalk snowplow decided to redesign the entire sidewalk experience, by ignoring the existing sidewalk and going up onto people's lawns, or reckoning that some of the sidewalk didn't deserve to be plowed and shunned it altogether for large stretches. I got quite a workout, let me tell you.

Then I went over to the bank, where I saw a dog poo right in the bank. Not something you see every day. A woman had brought her yappy little dog into the bank, and while she was talking to the teller, the pooch took umbrage at the amount of time it was taking, and expedited the proceedings. I think I can speak for most of us in the line when I say most of us have felt that way about the bank at one time or another.

Then, I went to the mall to do a bit of shopping, when I visited the bathroom and heard someone crying. Since it was just me in there and I knew I wasn't crying, I figured I should see if she was okay. She was young and distraught, but assured me that she would be fine. It turned out she had just seen her boyfriend with another girl, when he said he was too busy to see her that day. (I at least got her to laugh when I suggested that maybe this was like a sitcom, where the other girl was his cousin/sister/a nun that had come with him to buy her a Christmas gift. She said it was someone from school, but thanks for trying.) Anyway, I told her boyfriends were like buses, there'll be another one along in a few minutes, but that she was entitled to a good cry and ripping him a new one, when she was ready. No matter what was happening in my day, it couldn't get nearly as bad as hers, I figure.


Then, I met The Tattooed One for a coffee. She's not working at the shop anymore, and I really miss her; no one can spot a crazy like the Tattooed One. She really made my Wednesdays. Anyway, she gave me the most rockingest Christmas present ever, which will make way more sense to you if you watch this video, (you only need to see up to the 53-55 second mark.)
I love this shirt. I really love it. My Christmas is perfect, and it's only December 18th.
I got home, eventually, after getting a few more things for the kids, and I think, I think, I am done shopping. (Who am I kidding? I'll be done shopping when there's no more time to go shopping.)
So, what started out as an ordinary day, turned out to be a, well, less than ordinary day. As they all are, I guess.

1 comment:

Speranza Speaks said...

I wish I could tell how much I needed that laugh!
I too am Also into Cats.
Quelle scream, girlfreend ...