Monday, January 25, 2010

Kibbles and Bits

Thing 1 and I were grocery shopping this morning, and while in the produce department, she remarked that she was disappointed that they didn't arrange the broccoli in the usual fashion, upright, like trees. She said she liked it when they did that, as when the sprinkler turned on, it looked like a tiny, little Amazon rainforest. She is my daughter, no?

Thing 2 had a basketball game today after school, and the Mister and I went to see it. Can I once again mention how over-the-moon thrilled I am that my children do not regularly participate in competitive sports? Because if had to sit through too much of that, I would be a puddle on the floor. When Thing 2 got the ball slapped out of her hands or an elbow to the head, it was all I could do not to go out on the court and slap the shit out of the kid that did it. It was a good thing I had the Mister there to remind me how unseemly it would be if I attacked a 12 year-old girl.
The gym they were playing in was tiny, no more than about half the size of our school's gym. While the home team were wiping the floor with our kids, I snotted to the Mister that I bet they're not so tough when they are playing in a real gym. Then I found out that they won the city championships last year, so I guess they are that tough.

Thing 1 and I went over to the mall after dinner to get her some new shoes. (We are going to Florida for a week on Sunday, and apparently Thing 1 had NO weather-appropriate shoes at all, I think all of last summer's shoes vanished into thin air. So a shopping trip was in order.) It rained most of the afternoon here, and then it got cold...as soon as I stepped off the sidewalk to go into the mall, I suddenly lost my footing, saw my feet up level with my head and felt that awful feeling you get as you realize you are about to get hurt something awful and there is nothing you can do about it. Boom onto my right hand and hip I went...man that hurt. I managed to walk it off for the most part, but my right shoulder still hurts. Good thing I don't have to use my right arm for work or anything....hey....that might be a problem. As long as I can go to Florida, though!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that falling feeling all too well. Just had a x-ray done on my knee today for a Thursday falling...sigh.

Erin said...

Have fun in Florida!! I so love your daughter's thoughts on broccoli ~ that is totally something Nolan would say.