Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Routine and Mundane.

I'm not sure one could have a more mundane day than I did today.

I haven't been home much recently, what with the changes at work (read: I now work 36 hours, up from, what? 20.) and just a lot of social stuff. The house has descended to a toxic waste dump, and I was happy enough to have a day here to deal with all the flotsom and jetsom that has accumulated since the last time I did this. I cleaned the kitchen thoroughly, having one cleaning epiphany after another: "good God that is dirty!", "Holy shit, would you look at that!", "Gaaahh! What the hell died in here?"
I was watching one of those shows on the telly while I was cleaning, you know the ones where the two scolding British women humiliate filthy people on the state of their hovels? Anyway, one of them suggested that the detergent you use in the dishwasher is very good for cleaning the range hood over the oven, and any other greasy sort of dirt, like on the back splash, and lo and behold, I tried it and it was magical! Of course, my house wasn't nearly as vile as the ones on tv, which is why I was watching that show....anything to give me a feeling of superiority.

I went to the mall, I went to the library and I went to Wal-Mart. I made dinner (pork souvlaki with Greek salad and grilled pita bread. It got an A+ and will be put into regular rotation from hereon in.) I checked my e-mail, loaded up my MP3 player for the bus ride into work tomorrow, (Dave Matthews and Paolo Nutini mostly, in anticipation of Big Liver Girl's and my road trip next month to see them both in Toronto.) and I let the cat in and out about a hundred times.

It wasn't an exciting day, but I've had plenty of excitement in the past few weeks, and mundane looks pretty good from here. Past experience has told me that June is a very hectic month, where you have not a whiff of spare time, and you hemmorhage money. I will enjoy mundane whiel it lasts.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I like "Gaaaa..." I'm gonna use that.