Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Good Morning!

The Mister and I did not live together before we got married, which meant that our honeymoon was probably the longest continous time we had ever spent in each other's company up to that point. Even though we had known each other for years, even before we dated, there were still things that came as a complete surprise, like, the Mister does not eat breakfast. I LIVE for breakfast, it's one of my favorite meals of the day. On that honeymoon cruise ship, where they had a big, beautiful breakfast buffet, where you could eat all the eggs, bacon, waffles, fresh fruit and hash browns you could possibly want, the man I had recenty pledged to spend my life with, suggested that we skip the buffet and go straight onto shore. I was speechless with horror, and wondered how I would return all the wedding presents before I got home.
The Mister was able to calm me down with some pancakes and Eggs Benedict, and we've gotten along very well ever since. (The Mister's motto is "1. Get Up, 2. Feed Mrs. Loudshoes, 3. Go About Your Business")

I take my breakfast very seriously.

My favorite breakfast these days is Steel Cut Oats. I adore oatmeal of almost any stripe, but the steel-cut stuff is chewy and nutty and filling and feels like I am eating the most righteous food ever. Seriously, I can eat that at 7:30 and not be ready for lunch for at least 4 hours. (With Rice Krispies, I could eat a second breakfast about an hour later, like a hobbit.) Just to tell you, you can cover the steel cut oats with water the night before, and then they microwave up in about 3 minutes. Almost instant.

When I was a kid, my brother and I would demand fluffy, sugary cereals, which, surprisingly, my mother would actually buy for us. I say surprisingly, because it was totally unlike her to give us such nutritionally-dubious, expensive food, but my mother is decidedly NOT a morning person, so maybe it was just so that we would be quiet and leave her alone.

We liked Alpha-Bits and Frosted Flakes and Corn Pops, which were all designed to make your blood sugar levels take off like a Japanese bullet train for about 20 minutes, and then leave you to crash and burn right before you left for school. We didn't like Cap'n_Crunch(it shreds the insides of your mouth so that you can't eat anything else for days.) or Cheerios (too boring) or Corn_flakes (ditto). Occasionally we would get Raisin_Bran, which I can't believe, because of my hatred of all things raisin. Mostly I remember flicking the raisins at the cat.

Probably we got the Raisin Bran because of the prize that came in the box. My children look at me with awe and wonder when I tell them that cereal used to include prizes in the box, like little whistles and glow-in-the-dark spoons and a submarine that you added baking soda and vinegar to and it swam around in the bathtub. I know, it's kind of hard to believe even when you lived it. They could be totally worth eating a whole box of Raisin Bran for.

I love eating breakfast out, and luckily, Thing 1 concurs. We usually go out for breakfast every couple of months or so. The Mister and Thing 2 do not share our enthusiasm. I'm glad I have a breakfast buddy, otherwise I might not be married.

No comments: