Sunday, June 28, 2009

Is It Easter?

I think I know what it feels like to be resurrected. I had a wicked cold/flu sort of thing the past few days that cut me off at the knees, and I'm just now starting to feel anything resembling normal again.
Wednesday night had me feeling like I was getting a cold; hardly a surprise, several people at work had something, and Thing 2 had been snufflly and sneezy the past few days. I went to bed early that night with a few vitamin C tablets and figured I'd brazen it out.
I knew I had a full day on Thursday at work, and when you get paid on commission, you are loathe to cancel a whole day where people are willing to pay for your services. I also knew I would have to stay late, since my last client at 5:00 was booked a bit late for what she wanted done, but also, that lovely, kind, sweet woman has a shitload of hair that tends to require brute force and ignorance to wrestle into any sort of submission. It wouldn't be a particulary enjoyable day on my part, but I'd get through it.

By noon I was thinking that the floor behind the front desk looked like it would be an ideal place for a nap and why, in the 25 years I had worked at the salon, had I never noticed that before? People appeared to be talking to me from underwater, and I it seemed that I came with my my own weather system, as I alternated between cold and hot in a dizzying cycle. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to make it to 7 pm. And I now know that God in His Sweet Heaven DOES exist, because my last client cancelled. It was a Christmas miracle.

I went home, crawled straight into bed and didn't come out for 18 hours. At first I was afraid I was going to die, and then I was afraid I wasn't going to die. The whole H1N1 thing did cross my mind at one point, but since I didn't get any worse in the 24 hours, I figured I wasn't going to grow a curly tail and oink any time soon.

I took the next day off work, and I can't remember the last time I did that. It was wonderful...even if I did feel like shit, it was so great to just lay in bed, watch tv, nap and read my book with impunity. I'd have eaten chocolate the whole time, if there had been any in the house.

Saturday saw me back on my feet and mostly back to normal. As much as I enjoyed the respite from the rest of my life, it is much nicer to be healthy and whole once again. Next time, I will just fake it.

No comments: