Monday, October 15, 2012

Amazing Race 21, Ep. 3

Up until about 5 minutes before the end, I was hoping Will and Gary would be out, just so that we could all be put out of their misery. But then Caitlin and Brittany (and of course they are named Caitlin and Brittany. Just look at them.) got all Lindsay Lohan on their taxi driver's ass and in about 2 seconds I was fervently wishing they would be out. Thanks, Universe, I appreciate that.
But Gary and Will are circling the drain, and their whining about how badly they are doing is tedious.

No matter how much you yell, it will not teach other people to speak English. I get that it must be frustrating to not be able to communicate in a foreign country, but please, for the love of God, could you not behave as if the entire world is somehow a badly run subsidary of the US? Shrieking and screaming and hurling abuse at the locals is just rude.

That was one of the most ungracious out-going talking heads I ever saw. Telling yourselves that you are better than the racers that are left is somewhat negated by the fact that they are still in it and you are out. The two blond girls can bitch and moan about having been screwed by their taxi drivers, but they still bled a ton of time trying to pay their driver (because, I think, their bills were too big and no one had enough change.....I always ask for money in small bills when I travel.) and they wandered around looking for the U-Turn booth. Bad racing.

Thing 1 is a waitress at a diner; she'd have rocked that Roadblock!

Those twins are growing on me. In the first episode, they annoyed the snot out of me, but they have won me over with their enthusiasm and good attitude. Of course, I can be turned off at any moment, but that's a risk they will have to take. When the one twin ran straight into the camera, and didn't even bat an eyelash, and the other one didn't even notice,  I think I loved them right then. By the way, thank God for the 30-second rewind button on the PVR, because I think Thing 1 and I watches that about 20 times.

Also, when, during the Roadblock, the one doing it said "When Natalie screamed at me, that helped me to relax." This explains so much about these two. Screaming at me would have exactly the opposite effect, but now I know why the twins have their volume dialed up to 11 all the time.

The Chippendales are quickly becoming my favorites....the blond James in particular. They are so goofily enthusiastic about everything. "I'm tasting years of Indonesian culture. And it is not pleasant."
Also, Thing 1 and I had to rewind watching them fight their way into that little Indonesian pedi-cab a couple of times....it was like watching toothpaste go back into the tube. "It's like we were on our honeymoon!"

I get that different cultures have many, many aspects that may be puzzling or unusual to our way of thinking, and that one has to be respectful and mindful that just because it is different doesn't mean it's necessarily bad, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Indonesian music isn't actually music. In fact, it is the opposite of music.
Having said that, I have got to love a culture where one of their beloved traditions is to fry and egg on someone's head. I have no idea how this came about, or even why, but I'm a hundred percent in favour of it.
When they were at that task and the guy ripped apart the coconut with his mouth, Thing I and I both channelled my mother and bellowed at the same time "DON'T USE YOUR TEETH!!". Growing up (and indeed, even now) my mother had a deep and passionate abhorrence for us opening anything, anything with our teeth, even popsicle wrappers or bobby pins.  Probably because she paid the dental bills. Coconuts would have been compeltely off limits.

Next week, Rob berates a local for not helping him win a million dollars. In Banglasdesh. One of the poorest countries in the world. Asshole.

Until next week!




No comments: