Monday, March 10, 2008

Global Warming, My Ass.

We've just been walloped with another late winter snow storm, and I am really quite exasperated with the whole winter thing. I get that global warming is happening, but right now it's very hard to see a down side to the whole thing.

It started snowing last Friday evening, and didn't stop until early Sunday morning. I'm not kidding, we got a good 20 inches of snow, which is perfectly ridiculous for March. If there was a Customer Service Department at the Bureau in Charge of Weather, you know I'd be writing a scathing letter of complaint.

Here is the side of the Loudshoes house, complete with Winter Snow Sculpture, for those of you into art.



Thing 2 had a sleepover at a friend's house scheduled for Saturday night, and she had no intentions of missing it. Thing 1, her friend and I walked Thing 2 to the friends house, slogging through a good foot of snow most of the way, because there was no way I was going to drive anywhere. We went down one street which clearly hadn't been plowed since the last storm, and there was a poor pizza delivery guy stuck half way down the street. He had driven as far as he dared, and walked the couple of hundred yards to the house to give them the pizza. (What kind of person makes the pizza delivery guy go out on a night they wouldn't go out themselves??? And not even tip him?) To make matters worse, the poor guy was clearly not from around here, what with his dark skin and Jamaican accent. He probably regretted emigrating more than ever that night. Anyway, we helped push him out and and saw him on his way, and joined him in soundly cursing the bastards that made him deliver a pizza and didn't even tip. Nice bit of cross-cultural bonding, there.

We have had a pretty snowy winter here this year; the driving has been consistently bad, and I've been shovelling the driveway every couple of days, it seems. One of my friends, who has grown up around here and really should know better, complained the other day with an air of righteous indignation that she's "had to wear boots every day this winter", like it was some sort of absurd imposition on her. ("Welcome to a Canada"I said, where there's 9 months of good snowmobiling weather, and 3 months of not so good snowmobiling weather.")
Toby has had enough, too. Here he is on the windowsill of the kitchen, desperate to come inside.
(The Elvis stickers are new. I think they add a fairly jaunty air to our kitchen, as well as Toby's plight.) If you didn't know better, you would think that he's been left to freeze to death in the breezeway, instead of having just gone outside about 3 seconds ago.


I'd be very happy to see the sun, not have to take 10 minutes to prepare myself to go outside, and have my feet be warm for once. Remind me of this in August, when I'm sick of being hot. If that ever happens.

No comments: