Thursday, March 13, 2008

There's Always Room For Jell-o

Thing 2 was at a bit of a loose end this afternoon. Thing 1 had gone off with Grandma to scout out dresses for her upcoming Grade 8 graduation. (And I cannot thank my mother enough for taking on that job. Thing 1 and I get along pretty well, but for some reason a shopping trip puts us both on the business end of a hissy-fit in no time flat. The delicate diplomacy required for such an important outfit is quite beyond my abilities. I'm doubly impressed because my mother had to deal with a 13-year-old me, and totally knows what she's getting herself into.) And, in case you hadn't heard, the Loudshoes are the only family in the entirety of our neighbourhood that has not gone away this March Break, and Thing 2's social opportunities are nil until they all come back.


Thing 2 has always loved to mess about in the kitchen, and I figured it was a good way to while away the afternoon.



She has wanted to make layered jello since we saw it at our friends, the McDonald's, house a few months ago. Layered jello involves making many separate colours of jello and waiting until the last layer is firm before adding the next. It takes hours, requires unwavering patience and a steady hand. Plus, you are going to have an ungodly amount of jello in your fridge when you are done. But Thing 2 was thrilled with the results:
The glass on the right was a result of our wild experiment of tilting the container while the jello cooled. Thing 2 looked at me like I had just invented teleportation or something when I suggested it. I think she thought I was the coolest I was ever going to ever get at that very moment.

We also experimented with our very successful homemade marshmallows of a few weeks ago. We tried making chocolate marshmallows, which didn't set up quite as well as the regular marshmallows, and although they taste very nice, they are deeply unattractive. There are no pictures of them because they look a bit, well, fecal. Can't win 'em all.

No comments: