Thursday, March 6, 2008

How Are We Still Married?

The Mister has informed me, recently, that there is one more thing I do that he hates. Apparently, I throw out the toothpaste tube before it is completely empty, and this entirely unacceptable and wrong-headed of me, and Not To Be Borne. (He informed me by retrieving the empty-enough-tube-by-my-standards from the wastebasket in the bathroom and pointedly leaving it on the edge of the vanity.) While there is still one or two more blobs of toothpaste left in the tube, one cannot possibly throw it out.
This brings me to the inevitable conclusion that the list of things my husband does that I hate has yet another entry. That is, he is physically incapable of throwing anything away, even the things that every sane person would consider trash, and therefore leaves it to me to throw away and then complains about it. (I guess, technically, that would be three things.)

Himself has many, many fine qualities, and I am really quite smitten with him, but if I have to justify pitching one more piece of crap around here, I am really going to have the mother of all hissy-fits.
He has various reasons for not throwing things away:
1. "We might need that". Really? You think we are going to need the kid's high chair again? Because I think your new wife will probably want to buy her kids a new one. And the broken patio umbrella? Perhaps we can use that for a tv antenna, or lawn art. And how about all the jars in the fridge with a smidgen of jam or mustard or hoisin sauce on the bottom...we keeping those for a special occasion?
2. "What if we have to return it?" This excuse is for boxes. We keep every box we ever got anything in, even if we no longer have the thing that originally came in the box. "You can always use a box", is the other reason. (Well, Toby can always use another box.)
3. (And my personal favourite)"It might be worth money someday". The Mister is still mad that his mother threw out a whole whack of baseball cards he had as a kid, and assuredly would have paid off our mortgage by now. So, I have to fight to the death to throw out anything that could possibly be of any value in the future. I'm confident that tossing the Freddy Fender album and the cowboy boots from the Carter administration were still a good idea, but Himself is ready to hold it over my head when I am proved wrong.

So, this morning, I thanked the Mister for showing me the error of my ways, and for teaching me a Very Valuable Lesson About Thrift and Economy. And then I threw out the toothpaste tube when he had gone to work.

No comments: