Monday, April 28, 2008

Baby, You've Got It

The Mister and I have Mondays off, which is very nice for a couple of reasons. The kids are in school all day, and even though we are just running errands and administering our lives, it's nice to be able to do it when nobody else is, and we get to spend a bit of time together. Even though we work on Saturdays (so we get Sunday and Mondays off), it still feels very much like we are getting away with some monumental scam and playing hookey. I know loads of people who think working Saturdays is a drag, and it can be, but having Mondays off? Who wouldn't want that?

This morning we went to our accountant's office to pick up our tax return, and were greeted with a very pleasant surprise; Himself got back way more than we thought we would, and I got back $75 bucks, when I usually end up owing around a hundred dollars or so. We were thrilled. (The receptionist said she'd never seen anyone so happy to get a rebate of 75 bucks.) Then we were only slightly deflated when we remembered that we were only getting back our own money that we had overpaid in the first place. But then we remembered we were getting money back at all, and were delighted all over again.

The first thing we did with our unexpected windfall was go out for breakfast. I adore going out for to eat at almost any time at all, but particularly giddy at the thought of going out for breakfast. (I love bacon and eggs, but the resulting derangement of the kitchen when we do a fry-up at home shrivels all pleasure in it.) I am especially thrilled at the prospect of eating breakfast out because the Mister never eats breakfast, and generally cannot see what the attraction is, out or otherwise. (I am a slave to my stomach, and cannot fathom not eating breakfast, or any other meal for that matter. When we were on our honeymoon, on a cruise ship, the Mister suggested on our first morning that we skip the huge breakfast buffet and check out the boat. I was flabbergasted....skip a breakfast buffet??? Was he out of his mind? What had I married?? What would become of us??? One look at my face and he quickly amended his plans to Get Up, Feed The Missus, Go About Your Day. ) Anyway, there was a place near the accountants which advertised "The City's Best and Fastest Breakfast", and we went in.
They weren't kidding; the 2 eggs, bacon, toast and hash browns were very good, and very fast, and our minature, old Greek waitress was very efficient. We were in and out in 25 minutes for 10 bucks.

While we were eating, we decided what to do with this unexpected windfall. We had a bit of money to pay off on the line of credit, and I still had to finish paying for my teeth from January, and we thought we'd get rid of those debts first. Then the Mister asked, very hesitantly, if maybe we could buy a big screen tv with the rest. Now, let me assure you that the Loudshoes house is nothing if not wired for sound. We've got four tvs, each with it's own DVD player, plus a DVR on one of them. We are not short of television sets. But he so wanted it, and even if I could have come up with a sensible use for the rest of the money, I'm not sure I'd have had the heart to say no. I didn't know The Mister when he was a little kid, but I sure got to see his six year old self today.

Off we went to Costco, where we got the television, and tonight, the Mister is a very, very happy man. I'm glad I could make it happen.

No comments: