Friday, April 25, 2008

My Head Is Like A Toilet

It's been an extremely busy week here at Chez Loudshoes, and I would like it to be over very much. I don't like complaining about being busy; who do you know that isn't busy? It's not like I constantly hear people say things like "you know what I have way too much of? Free time!" But I have, for years, had about as much free time as one can have and not be accused of being criminally lazy, and I am finding the adjustment a little rough.

We've had a few changes at work, resulting in me working full-time for the first time in 14 years. Now, that? takes a bit of getting used to. I understand that most of the free world works full time, and that everyone else just gets on with it, but we are talking about me here, and that is a much bigger deal than anyone else can fully appreciate.

My children have been troopers about me being out of the house so much, and have helped enormously, which I have appreciated utterly. But I have no illusions that this will last. The co-operation and willingness to pitch in will undoubtedly lose its lustre very soon, and I will be back to dire threats and menacing stares in no time flat. They are as fickle as cats, those two.

One of the ways I can tell that I am approaching maximum capacity is that I start to forget important things. Today I went to blow dry my hair only to discover that I had neglected to rinse out the conditioner in the shower. Yesterday, I went out with the express purpose of depositing my paycheque, only to find myself walking into the grocery store. (At least I was able to get the Mister a bag of BBQ potato chips, which he was craving.) I hope I remember to wear all my clothes out of the house tomorrow.

I have told my children for years that my head is like a toilet, if you put too much shit in it at once, it will back up and overflow and you will have an almighty mess on your hands.

By the middle of next week, I am hoping that things will have settled down somewhat, and that I will be feeling a little more in control of things. Until then, I will be flushing as quickly as possible.

No comments: