Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Okay, These Again

One of my friends requested that I put my banana muffin recipe on my blog, because, in her words, "it's the best thing you make". Which makes me want to weep, really, because I know no cook in all the land who wants to be famous for muffins.
Judging from how many people ask me for this recipe, these must be pretty good...I'm not that crazy about bananas, so they are only "not too bad" in my book, but everyone else seems to get all woozy with delight over them. I bake muffins or some other breakfast-type thing for the staff every Saturday morning, and these are, hands-down, their favorite. I guess sometimes fancy isn't what you are after. I have no idea where I got this recipe, so if it's your creation, let me know and I'll happily give you credit.

Banana Crumb Muffins
Makes 12 muffins or 24 mini-muffins

These are not very big muffins, so you could make 10 instead of 12 if you want them a bit bigger. Whatever you do, don’t skip the topping; it’s what sets these muffins apart.

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted

1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups or line with muffin papers.
2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups of flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg, and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into muffin cups.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
4. Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean

Because my family will only accept "perfect" bananas (i.e. those without spots or blemishes of any kind, and just the merest hint of green shading the top inch or so), which are "perfect" for a full 20 minutes of their existence, I end up with a continuous supply of "displeasing" bananas, which I let ripen to their proper state (i.e. to the full blush of yellow, and with the occasional black freckle.) and then freeze them for this express purpose. I let them thaw out overnight, and then use them, but I will warn you, bananas in this state are not for the faint of heart, they look unbelievably disgusting; they practically slither out of their peels, and they require no mashing because they have almost disintegrated in the freezing/thawing process. Don't say I didn't warn you. But they are excellent for making muffins with.

No comments: