Monday, February 2, 2009

Reprieve

One of the reasons I haven't been posting much on the blog lately is because I am all whiney and moany about the weather, and can barely think about anything else, and really, who wants to read about that? I can barely stand to listen to myself, let alone inflict myself on anyone else.
But today, today, is an exception....today it feels like I'm nearing the end of a long prison sentence; I still have a ways to go, but the end is in sight and if I behave myself, I might get early parole. The sun is shining, the air is filled with the sound of water running and it doesn't hurt to breathe in deeply through your nose. It's not spring, but it's definitely not the dead of winter, either.
The snow has gotten all soft and slumpy and defeated here in the backyard. And that in the birdbath? that is definite melting going on there. Check out that glorious blue sky! It had been so long since we'd seen the sun I actually had to hunt down some sunglasses this morning to go get groceries. I hadn't seen them in ages, and didn't know where they were.

Toby is particularly enthusiastic about the change in temperatures....he had been slowly losing his mind the past couple of weeks, from being indoors so much, and I think I speak for both of us when I say "it's about time". (There's only so much dragging of yarn and tossing of foil balls and changing of bed linens I'm willing to do to keep that cat amused.) Here he is outside, experiencing sensory overload...the sun! the smells! the snow! the cold! Note his awkward stance, as he keeps breaking through the top crust of snow about 1 second after he thinks it's safe to put all his weight on it....he is clearly disconcerted, but I thought if was very funny. (I got a slitty-eyed glare of death when I laughed at him staggering around out there.)

Here is our garden gnome, Peadsworth, clearly coming up for air for the first time in 9 weeks. The forecast is for another day or two of this, and then back to desperate temperatures again, which is to be expected, being February and all. But the odd day like today makes the rest of the winter bearable. Just.

No comments: