Friday, February 20, 2009

Both Sick.

The plague continues. Now there are two children home sick from school. Two bodies lolling in bed or on couches, sniffling and spewing, wiping out entire rain forests with their kleenex consumption.
Thing 2 has been laid low this whole week with a virus that cut her off at the knees. She had a fever for a day or so, which went away, but she's still not herself. We can tell she is sick because she hasn't been on the computer in days, she is willingly taking medication (not like her at all) and her voice makes her sound like a career chain-smoker. Thing 1 started sneezing and barking like a seal last night, and this morning looked soooo sad and pathetic and miserable as she gamely got ready to go to school, that I told her to stay home.
Luckily it was a quiet day at work and I was able to come home mid-morning and take care of them. And really, when they are sick they revert to their former little selves, and all they want it mom. And I'm happy to do it.

First off, on my way home from work, I stopped at the grocery store. Because I know when I am sick, what I really want is comfort food: soup, crackers, tea, toast and lots and lots of chocolate. I did get some Chocolate Creme Eggs, because they are a little known, but powerful remedy for the common cold. (For those of you who have never had a Cadbury's Chocolate Creme Egg, they are intensely sweet little grenades of sugar and chocolate. They are superb for treating a cold because just one of those suckers will shock you into a sugar coma so fast, you won't even notice. When you wake up, it will be a brand new day and your cold will be history. Totally works.)
Thing 1 was delighted with her comfort food, namely garlic bread and fruit salad, and then she went off to work on that Creme Egg. I don't suppose I will see her for a few hours. Thing 2 wanted apple juice and lime sherbert, with some granola on the side. I would never have put "granola" into the "comfort food" category, but to each her own, I guess.

When you aren't feeling well, your own home and your own bed is the best of all possible places to be. I'm thinking of contracting a cold myself, just so I can indulge. It would be worth it, just for the Creme Egg.

No comments: