Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Kibbles and Bits Some More

Things are very quiet here at Chez Loudshoes this week, which is just the way I like it. "Boring" and "uneventful" are positive things, in my books. The world could do with far more "boring" and "uneventful", I think. My calendar is very white, meaning it hardly has anything written on if for this week. (When the calendar is dark, with things written in sideways and along the margins because there's too much to fit into the little boxes, it makes me very stabby.)

Thing 2 will be celebrating her 12th birthday this week, and I was trying to remember what I was doing 12 years ago this week. Oh, that's right, bitching. That whole last trimester was one big bitch session, as I recall. I had pretty easy, low-drama pregnancies, but I recall being fed up of the whole adventure around month 7 with Thing 2, and I announced, loudly, that I was going to be monumentally cranky for the duration. (The Mister replied that he was going to be hard pressed to tell the difference between that and my usual demenor. Brave man, him.) Anyway, Thing 2 is very excited about her birthday; I think the fact that she's only celebrated 12 of them might have something to do with that. Once you've celebrated, I don't know, 30 or 40 of them, they lose their shine, somewhat.

The weather has been blissfully mild and non-wintery this week. The snow has been melting, and I've even had some of the windows open, to air out the place. (Shhh, don't tell the Mister....he will make fatherly grumbles about heating the whole of southwestern Ontario.) Toby approves very much, and spent most of the afternoon in the window of the ensuite bathroom,

making sure the squirrels did not get up to any hijinks. Or if they do, he can tell on them.

We went for a walk last Sunday to feed the ducks on the pond near our house, and the ducks were hilarious. Who knew? The pond had mostly frozen over, but there was some open water and the ducks were all crowded into that. They had to come over closer to us to get the bread, and that part of the pond was all icy. The result? Duck Bowling! They skittered and staggered all over the place in a most entertaining fashion. Then we witnessed a mallard ass-kicking, where two ducks seemed pretty determined to beat the snot out of each other. The Mister got involved and separated them, but they went right back at it. Just goes to show, testosterone is toxic in large doses, no matter what the species.


And the fact that that is all I can think of to write about will tell you how boring and uneventful my life is at the moment. It's perfect.

No comments: