Sunday, February 3, 2008

Go Forth and Socialize.

I've had a perfectly lovely afternoon. After a number of weeks of bad weather, whining about the bad weather and refusing to leave the house, I had reason to go out and socialize. Even I was growing tired of my company, and it was just the remedy for my cranky, insular, petulant self.

First off, I was invited to a lunch at my Good Friend Wendy's house, with herself and a posse of bright, funny, loud women who were excellent company. (Don't believe Wendy when she tells you she's not a very good cook. She is a very good cook.) Everyone was talkative and opinionated and thoroughly involved in several conversations at once. It was fabulous. And, there was a 3 month old baby there, which was passed around and smelled wonderful and totally filled my baby-sniffing quota for a few more months. And there was wine.

Then we went off to my parent's place for a couple of hours, to meet someone my father had recently made a connection with who had moved to our city recently. She's Irish (and all Irish people have a "six-degrees of separation" thing going on.) and like all Irish people, had no problem filling the silence. All of us talked a blue streak, while trying mightily to be polite, and not doing a very good job of it. (Such is the way in my family.) I enjoyed it very much.

As much as I love spending time by myself, in fact, I crave it, sometimes, I also realize thatI am a hoplessly social creature, and I need to be around people; people I have not married or given birth to, occasionally. And, occasionally, that I will actually have to get up off my fat butt and make the effort to do so.

No comments: