Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Books That Made Me Laugh Out Loud

A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel This book made me laugh out loud both times I read it…the real-life story of a girl growning up in a small town in Indiana. Her childhood is a bit unusual, but not terribly out of the ordinary. This writer’s voice was candid and matter-of-fact and endearing and very, very funny. The follow-up, "She Got Up Off the Couch" wasn't quite as hilarious, but still a fine read.

Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovitch Starting with "One for the Money", this series about a female bounty hunter in New Jersey never fails to entertain. I think there are something like 14 of them now, and each one can be read in a day or two.

A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson I love this guy, I really do. This book, about hiking the Appalachian Trail, had me wheezing with laughter. Understand, I have zero interest in hiking, or really, even leaving my house, so it wasn't necessarily the subject matter I found so highly amusing. He's just really, really funny. I also loved his books about growing up in Iowa, about Australia and Europe and England, and small towns in the States. Nobody entertains me quite as much as Bill Bryson. I would read his grocery list, if he'd let me.

McCarthy’s Bar by Pete McCarthy Any journey that begins with the motto "never pass a bar with your name on it" is probably right up my alley. McCarthy's adventures in the west of Ireland is one of my very favorite books. Not to be read in public, unless guffawing in the midst of strangers doesn't bother you.

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby A really great novel about a middle-aged record store owner who can't quite believe he's ready to grow up. I found myself loving all the references to pop music, as well as the love story and all the geeky male bonding.

Hypocrite in A Pouffy White Dress by Susan Gilman A very funny book about growing up in the 70s and 80s in New York. I enjoyed this book hugely.

Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes One of my very favorite books ever...who knew a bunch of drug addicts in rehab could be so unbelievably funny? When I first read this I found I couldn't read it in bed while the Mister was trying to sleep; my snorting and shaking kept him awake. But it's not lightweight, this book made me cry as well as laugh. I've enjoyed all Keyes' books so much, but I think I love this one best of all.

No comments: