Friday, April 3, 2009

Colour Me


Every occupation has it's hazards: dentists have problems with their upper backs, waitresses have sore feet and apparenty game keepers have dodgy thumbs. Hairdresser's suffer from stiff shoulders, bunions and lower back problems, and we tend to cut ourselves a LOT. (I always carry band-aids, and a tetnus shot is just part of the routine.) But the real hazard when you are a hairdresser is the relentless and dramatic change in hairstyle....it's impossible to be satisfied with whatever you have for very long, there's always something newer and better and brighter and shinier coming at you all the time.
After 2 years of being having boring brown hair (which initially seemed "so natural" and "more classic", but eventually descended into "so mundane" and "lacking originality") I dyed my hair red and then I blow-dried it straight. I like a change now and again, and I'm used to the schizophrenic nature of my hairstyle, but it seems to have caught everyone else off-guard, and one person even said "you should have warned me", like I had sneezed on her or something.
I've had my hair almost every colour on the spectrum, from my natural dark brown, to blonde, to jet black to red. I've had it short, really short, kind of short and shoulder length. It's normally fairly curly, but I've been known to spend inordinate amounts of time straightening it. (When I was in high school, I think I spent more time getting my hair straight than I ever did on my academics. Probably why I ended up a hairdresser.) I went through a time in the '80s when I had a chunk of hair at the front that was an incandescent fuschia colour. (I had people ask if it was natural. Like that colour naturally occurred in nature anywhere, let alone on a human head.)
When I turned 40, I decided that I had spent enough time and energy colouring my hair, and it was time to let nature take it's course and allow the grey to grow out. In an effort to speed things up, I cut it really short, with the result that I had plenty of people ask if "everything was okay". I went back to colouring it, and mused that perhaps 50 was the age to let nature take it's course.
But for now I am a redhead, and happy enough with it. Until I see something I like better.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Amen, sister. I love changing it up. "It will always grow back!" is my response to those who respond in shock and awe when I show up with a new shade. It's something you can play around with and know that eventually you can get it back to 'normal'!! Can't wait to see your red hair!