Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Dodged That Bullet

The other day Himself and I were running some errands; one of our stops was the dollar store. (This one truly is a "dollar" store, where things cost a dollar. There used to be a so-called dollar store in the little mall near our first house they had things listed at 5 and 10 dollars. I'm no math genius, but I know five dollars is not one dollar. They should have called it "The Five Dollar Store", and then they wouldn't have pissed off everyone who expected an actual "dollar" store, and they might still be in business.)
We were walking back towards our vehicle, (a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan in silver. I think the Chrysler corporation only made them in silver, and sold all 50 million of them within a 20 mile radius of our house, because they are everywhere.) when I noticed a huge, big, lurid scrape just above the rear wheel on the passenger side. It was about a foot long and eight inches high, and tore at the very fabric of my soul. It was hideous.
I stopped about 10 feet from the back of the van and let out a screech and said to anyone within 20 feet who was willing to listen "what the hell is that??? That wasn't there this morning!!!! Somebody must have hit it and run right here in this parking lot!!!"
At the same time as I am howling like a banshee, I'm kind of wondering why the Mister isn't exhibiting a similar roar of outrage. (As affable and as good-tempered as he is, he can really work up a good head of steam over damage to the car. You should have seen him the time when Thing 1 was 2 1/2 and she "helped" him wash the then 3-week-old van.....with a rake. It was the first vehicle he had ever owned that had been bought brand-new, and I thought his head might actually burst into flames. Thing 1 was airily oblivious to his ire, and happily wandered off to desecrate something else while Himself made up a few new swear words, and narrowly escaped jail time.)
Just as I get up to the van, I shriek "When in God's name did that happen????". Himself continues to walk past me to the next van, unlocks it with the remote and calmly replies "I don't know, why don't we ask the people who own it?".

No comments: