Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Times, They Are A-Changin'.

Last night was the annual "set back the clocks" night, which is one of my favorite nights of the whole year. That extra hour of sleep was extraordinarily delicious, and I'm sad we don't do it a couple of more times a year.
Of course, I have to think long and hard about what that turning back means...."what was 5 is now only 4, so don't eat dinner yet", that sort of thing. It confounds me utterly, and I'm really better off not thinking about it.
Toby the Cat is of mixed feelings on the time change.... on the one hand, the humans are more likely to sleep in, thereby getting him his tuna a little later than usual. (And that would not do at all!) But, on the other hand, when they sleep in for a long time, the chances of them forgetting that they have already given him the tuna increases dramatically, and a certain cat might get two portions in one day, rendering him stupified with delight.
When the kids were small, the time change was a bit of a challenge. They would get up at their regular time (which was now 4 a.m. because the clocks had turned back.) but the upside was that they went to bed an hour earlier, too. That lasted about 2 days, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.
When I was a teenager, I remember going into the restaurant I worked at, completely oblivious to the time change. I couldn't figure out why no one else was there, and got started on the prep for Sunday brunch. I was getting seriously freaked out after a half an hour or so, because the place should have been bustling, and I was still the only one there. Had there been a nuclear war I knew nothing about? An alien abduction? A rampaging serial killer just outside the door? My mind raced at the possibilities. At around 10 to, someone else showed up, and I nearly wept with gratitude. Turns out I was an hour early for work. (The managers had a bit of a discussion about whether or not I should have been paid for that extra hour. One of them thought I should, since I had actually got stuff done for brunch, the other arguing against, since they didn't want workers just showing up early for their shifts and being paid for hours the restaurant didn't require they be there for. And I'm all "dude, do you really think that's going to be a problem? Especially around here? On a Sunday morning? Have you met your staff?")
Hairdresser's weekends are Sundays and Mondays, with Tuesday being our first working day of the week. One time I remember someone showing up for work (it must have been in the spring) an hour late. On a Tuesday. How she'd gone for two whole days not noticing the time change, I have no idea.
It will be nice to waken in the daylight, for a couple of weeks, anyway. But I'm not looking forward to it getting dark an hour earlier; it feels so late when you leave work at 5 and it's already dark. On the other hand, any excuse to go to bed an hour earlier suits me just fine.

No comments: