Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Overheard at the Grocery Store. Part 2.

It's Himself's birthday tomorrow, and although it isn't physically possible for him to care less about celebrating his birthday, I'm not about to pass up an excuse to eat cake. Especially if it's a cake I get to choose, and make to my own personal preferences. (Spice Cake with Penuche Icing, just in case you're keeping track. Penuche Icing, if you are wondering, is essentially fudge made with brown sugar and spread on a cake.)
However, this being the house that it is, we are one egg short for making a cake, and so I hop in the car and take off for the grocery store in the most environmentally irresponsible way possible. (The grocery store it about a 10 minute walk away, but that's too far for me when there is cake to be made right now.)
As I hone in on the egg section, I vaguely notice a youngish couple in the vicinity. Actually, I noticed them because they were right in my way, and I had to jockey around them to get to the eggs.
He says to her "what's the difference between 'Large' eggs and 'Small' eggs?"
She says, somewhat wearily (you can tell she's been down this road before), "The 'Large' eggs are bigger than the 'small' eggs. Get it?"
And he says, after a pause, "well, I'd get it if the difference were between them were 'quail' and 'ostrich', but really, other than that, what's the point?".
She says "The point is, some people care about the size of their eggs".

I vote they break up now.

No comments: