Monday, September 24, 2007

Sometimes a Great Notion....

One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to get up off my considerable behind and actually DO the things that I often think "I should really do that". (One of my other resolutions was to stop swearing, and the other was to not run yellow lights. I'm not doing so well at those, but I'm working on it.) My biggest regrets in life have been what I haven't done, rather than what I have. (didn't take French in university, didn't put away money into an RRSP in the 80's, didn't figure out until way after the fact that the cute doctor was flirting with me.) And so, in that spirit, I've taken the trips, bought the shoes, written the letters, eaten the cheesecake and it's all been good.

A few months ago, my good friend, Wendy, told me of an eldery gentleman she met near their place in the Laurentians, who turned out to have written a book about his experiences during WWII. (He had been a navigator in an RCAF bomber which was shot down over France.) He gave her a copy of the book (autographed!!) and after she was done with it, she kindly passed it on to me. ("Missing in Action", by John D. Harvie)
It was a wonderful book and I enjoyed it very much, (I had to keep reminding myself "he makes it out okay; he got home and wrote the book!") And so, in the spirit of my resolution, I wrote him a short letter to tell him. (I don't know anyone who ever engaged in anything creative who didn't want to hear what a great job they did!)

In the middle of dinner, the phone rings....it says "unknown number", which is my phone's way of saying "sneaky telemarketer", but since both kids were out, I figured I should answer, in case it was the paramedics or something.
An unfamiliar voice asks for me, and says "You're going to think this a bit odd, but it's John Harvie calling". I was so surprised, I almost said "Shit, really?" But I managed to control myself. (See: New Year's Resolution #2) He got my letter today, and liked it, and called me to tell me so!
I cannot tell you how delighted I was, and still am, to have gotten that phone call! I felt like Oprah herself was calling me!
We talked a bit about the war, and how all those men and women that fought in it were so young (he was 20). I said it never ceases to amaze me that the fate of the entire world was resting on the shoulders of people to whom I would probably not have lent my car. We had a very nice conversation about his book, and what it was like to write it, and how we have got to meet and what nice people we both were. It was an excellent conversation.

And after a while he said "I'm a lonely old man; my wife died a few years ago, and I don't get out much, and you have really made my day."

And he really, really made mine.

I have got to make more resolutions.

No comments: