Thursday, September 6, 2007

What's A Breezeway?

This breezeway is largely the reason we bought this house. That and the en suite bath. I think I remember loudly proclaiming that I didn't care if the place had a roof and a furnace, I'd buy it for those two features alone.



I had someone ask me what a "breezeway" is, since I spend a good 6 months of the year in it, and don't know why they aren't standard issue for all houses. Our breezeway is the area between the house and the garage that serves as a porch/deck/patio/family room from Victoria Day until Thanksgiving. The cat highly approves of the breezeway, and is never happier than when one of us is in it. It truly is the best thing about this house.
These pictures were taken last year; we have much nicer furniture now. (Thanks, Linda!) and that bamboo swingy chair didn't make it out of the shed this year. (It's a bit rickety and as the kids get a little bigger and heavier, I'm afraid it will collapse in a heap with a bunch of other peoples children in it and I'll be on the news looking idiotic and explaining "well, I thought it was safe" to the paramedics.) Also, my hair is different now, and the plant behind my head up and died not too long after those pictures were taken. (It was quite determined to die, actually. It was fine one day, and then with a sort of a grim tenacity, went all brown and wrinkly in a matter of hours. I have to kind of admire that sort of single-mindedness, even if I do wonder what was the point.) Doesn't'the grass look nice? We had so little rain this year it was actually painful to walk across the lawn in your bare feet. (You shouldn't walk around in the backyard in your barefeet anyway, since the cat goes on murderous rampages regularly, and leaves the little mousie corpses lying around. He does this because he never sees us killing mice, and whatever would we eat if it wasn't for him?)
Our hanging fuschia plant did much better last year than this, I can see. In fact, I think this year's plant is last year's plant...we hung it up in the kitchen over the winter. Note to self: you can probably throw caution to the wind and wantonly splash out the 14 bucks on a new hanging basket every year. That 70's light fixture will have to go, it looks very modern and hip in a Brady Bunch kind of way.
If I could move the kitchen and a tv out into the breezway I would. Maybe next year.

1 comment:

Speranza Speaks said...

Thanks for this eloquent and involved "breeze way" definition --I had no idea what they were till now or, of course,that I would really like one myself! Yours is particularly fetching and looks very inviting.
If I had a breezeway, I would never leave home ... :>