Thursday, October 18, 2007

Well, Who'd Have Thought....?

After the visit to the dentist last week, wherein I was told that my tooth has to come out and I will be getting a bridge, I was a little freaked out. (My very nice friend, Susan the Librarian, talked me down off the ledge and told me about her own bridge, and assured me that it's not a big deal and basically to get over myself, and I am very grateful.) My health has always been something I've taken mostly for granted, and it occurs to me that things can go pretty wrong pretty fast. Although I've been pretty good about looking after myself, I'm also a bit of a slob, so it has been hit or miss, at best.
Rather than take on a whole new regime, (not necessary, and frankly, not going to happen anyway.), I decided to just make sure I did three things every single day that I have only been doing with a bit of prodding. (or at gunpoint, truth be known.) I said I would walk whenever possible, drink more water, and choose a fruit or vegetable before anything else to eat.
The walking part hasn't been too bad. I tend to walk to do my errands anyway, and I'm always happy to walk around the neighbourhood and see what people have done to their houses. (When Thing 1 had her flute lesson in Old North last year, I used to go for a walk around there, and it was spectacular. Especially after dark, when I could actually see inside the houses. I was so sad when she gave up the lessons, I was enjoying them very much.)
The water is a bit problematic, because I have a bladder the size of a peanut. I am drinking more, but I have to time it very carefully so that I'm not out somewhere, crossing my legs and cursing. (And no, I do not have Irritable Bladder Syndrome, it has always been thus. I can tell you where every bathroom is within 50 miles of my house.)
The fruits and vegetables is a little tougher; an apple has a lot of PR to do to make it as appealing as a hot fudge sundae. And I don't think deep-fried apples would be as good for me, either. But I've had more salad and less fries, and more bananas and fewer cookies.
I'm amazed that the scale is telling me there's a few pounds less than there was last week. (Partly because I do not trust my scale, which has it out for me, I know it.) Who knew....all this time eating right and drinking water and exercise would actually have an effect?
I should write a diet book... I'd make gajillions of dollars!
I'll get right on it, right after I get out of the bathroom.

1 comment:

Speranza Speaks said...

FAME AT LAST for me! And thanks for the natty intro.
Glad to hear you are more accepting now of the Bridge over troubled waters ... let's face it you're fabulous dahling anyway. Cheers!