Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Loudshoes Bakery

I found myself with a free afternoon and a clear conscience, so I baked today.
Thing 2 was ecstatic that her all-time favorite treat would be on the menu for after-school snack today (and probably dinner, truth be known.) Oatmeal cookies are her vice of choice, and she prefers home-made, bless her.
Part of the reason I know she likes home-made cookies is that she has inherited her mother's hatred of raisins, and loathes their presence in any baked good, especially oatmeal cookies. Some people, who shall remain nameless, but to whom I am married, actually think that oatmeal cookies might, perhaps, be improved by the addition of raisins. But he would be wrong, they would not; they would be ruined by the repulsive little morsels, and I'm sorry I didn't know his take on the subject before I agreed to marry him. (And do NOT get me started on raisins in butter tarts. Or rice pudding.)
I ended up eating around a dozen of the cookies myself, and now my pancreas is seriously pissed with me, and the carbohydrate overload is making me feel like I have a neurological disorder.
Thing 1 likes oatmeal cookies in a general sort of way, but has no real affinity for them, so for her I made a chocolate cream pie. I've made them from scratch, and I've made them from a package, and honestly, I can't tell the difference. Certainly she can't what with the fist-sized whallop of whipped cream on top.
The Mister's favorite baked thing is apple pie, which I think is the most boring dessert ever. Apple pie is what I make when there's nothing else in the house to make. His mother makes a very nice apple pie, which is his favorite, and I'm very happy to let her do it. I can make pastry and such, but since I'm not crazy about pie, the payoff simply isn't there for me.
Baking is a bit of a treat for me, not only does the house smell very nice and there's something good to eat at the end of it, but I rather like the process itself; the creaming and the mixing and the kneading is all very therapeutic. I hope my pancreas will forgive me.

No comments: