Thursday, October 4, 2007

Wood You, Could You...

Because of my cold, I have spent the morning wallowing in self-pity and watching DVDs. Except for the lack of chocolate, and the fact that I feel like a toxic-waste dump, it's been an okay day, even if I am spectacuarly unattractive.
The phone rang at around 10 a.m., and I didn't recognize the number. Usually this would call for a hurled invective and a pointed ignoring, but since I have very little to divert my attention from myself today, I answered the phone.
"Hello, it's Bob's Tree Service calling!" chirped the happy voice on the other end. (Rarely is anyone not brain damaged so happy to inform me that they are calling me.) "Oh?" came my pithy reply.
"I just wanted to tell you that your wood delivery will be arriving within the hour. We're sorry we're late, we were having some trouble with the truck yesterday, but I promise the wood will be there today."
This took a few beats to process through my cold-addled brain. You see, we don't have a fireplace, so we rarely need wood. In fact, we have a couple of tree branches that overhang the house that need to come down, preferrably in an organized fashion, so actually, it is LESS wood that I am requiring, not more. And, the Mister being what he is, I had to chew on the idea that he might have ordered wood without my knowledge or consent, perhaps as a late anniversary present or such. (Sadly, it is possible that he could somehow construe such a thing as an appropriate present. Then he would knock a hole in the wall and begin to install a fireplace and then let it sit in a half-finished state for the next year or so, until my head exploded.)
I had to conclude that we had not, in fact, ordered any wood. At least I hoped not.
She asked if this was Mrs. Loudshoes at Sounds Like A Much Nicer Address Than Ours That Probably Has A Fireplace , and I had to admit to the first, but sadly, not to the second. We live at The Messiest House On God's Green Earth.
"Oh." , came the reply, considerably less chipper than before. "That's not good", and she hung up.
So, I hope those other people got their wood, since they've been waiting a full 24 hours for it. I just hope tomorrow I don't find a hole in the living room wall.

No comments: