Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My Kind of Sport

As possibly the least competitive person alive, I have a lot of trouble drumming up any sort of interest in watching sports. People throw balls, people catch balls, it will all happen again next weekend; what's the point? (I do rather like going to baseball games, though, because they tend to be outside, in nice weather and the available food ROCKS.)
But I think I have found a sport that has caught my fancy, only as a spectator, though, there's no WAY you'd find me participating. Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling is a wonderful event, whereby someone throws a 7-pound cheese down a very steep hill and then crazy people run after it. It is brilliant. Click on the link to get a smidgeon of this year's event, held last May. I like the fact that you can pause the video in almost any place and it is hilarious.

What's not to love about an event for which CNN noted:"Some 4,000 spectators turned out to watch, but they didn't escape the mayhem, either. One man who tried to dodge a bouncing cheese lost his balance and tumbled 100 feet down the hillside. He was being hospitalized with a head injury." (My italics.) Just imagine: A spectator had to be hospitalized for a head injury!

I would love to go and see it myself, despite the fact that I bet the food is awful and I might get a head injury. This? this is a sport I can totally get behind.

No comments: