Wednesday, October 10, 2007

It's October, Damn It.

What a difference 48 hours makes....it was 30°C here on Monday, and 12°C today. For those of you who do not speak metric, that "majorly hot" to "holy shit, it's cold" in no time flat.

So, when I was at work today, gazing out the window at life's rich pagent, I noticed that lots and lots of people did not get the memo that it is now autumn and not summer anymore. We saw a couple of people wearing capri pants paired with fur-trimmed parkas. And a number of flip-flop/wooly scarf combos. And all sorts of young women wearing short skirts, bare legs and the hood of their sweatshirt pulled up snugly around their heads. ("Muslim or just cold?" I wondered.) I understand that everyone's thermostat is set differently, but how is it okay to wear boots with shorts? If it's hot enough to wear one, then it's too hot for the other, in my books. (Which brings me to this: if anyone can explain the appeal of a sleeveless turtleneck sweater, I'd love to hear it. And I don't mean the thin kind you're supposed to wear under a jacket, I mean the bulky kind that makes your breasts look water balloons and your head like a bowling ball. For example:)
Completely off topic, but there was also one sartorially challenged young man that kept the Tattooed One and I amused for about 10 whole minutes. He was wearing a pair of pants that were so big and fashionally baggy that he had trouble keeping them up, and his locomotion was seriously compromised.. The waistband of the jeans was about 4 inches above his knees, and the crotch was hovering just above his ankles. He was also was hampered by the fact that he was eating his lunch while trying to walk down the street, and man, his hands were full. I've heard of somebody being unable to walk and chew gum at the same time, but this was just ridiculous. He had to stop every couple of steps and hitch up the pants. Lucky for us, and everyone, that his t-shirt was equally long and baggy, or we'd have been able to see plenty we didn't want to.
The weather does present a conundrum this time of year; I barely know what to put on myself in the mornings. But I'm pretty sure the answer is not "one season on the top, different season on the bottom". So, if tomorrow you are tempted to pair a bikini top with leather boots, resist. You will thank me when you walk past the shop and you notice two women NOT laughing at you.

No comments: