Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Tim Horton's Hi-Jinks

On Wednesdays I usually take the bus to work, which conveniently drops me off right at the door of our local Tim Horton’s to get my fix of "The Black Heroin". The women there are kind of nice, as Tim Horton employees go, as they actually smile at me from time to time. ( I have wondered, in the past, if “surly and uncooperative” are listed as job requirements on their applications.) The Tim Hortons near where I work must be the hub station of the Crazy Person’s Network, since every one in the city appears to visit it at least once a day.
Today, I got there and the line up wasn’t too long, only about 6 people, and none of the people at the counter appeared to be getting more coffee than they can carry. (There are several office buildings nearby who apparently cannot afford a coffee maker and send out one of the more hapless, more junior members of the staff to go out and fetch coffee for every single person in the company, all at one go. It takes forever.)
The guy immediately ahead of me in line looked to be about 35, wore a nice suit and looked like he held down a job, and then I noticed a pervasive, distinct and mighty pungent smell of pot wafting off of him! Dude, it's 8:45 in the morning! If you're going to smoke a spliff on your way to work in the morning, I suggest you roll down the windows. And maybe, also, don't smoke a spliff on your way to work in the morning. (Seriously, what kind of job does this guy do? Because I don't think I'd want him as my lawyer or account manager or, heaven forbid, psychologist.) I checked behind me to see if that person was responsible for the redolence, but that lady was about a hundred, so I don't think it was her.
Anyway, he got his large, double sugar and toasted 12 grain bagel, and went on his way. I almost followed him to see where he worked, but since I had a caffeine-starved co-worker waiting for me, I had to skedaddle.
I got to thinking that maybe this guy has a job he hates and his life sucks and smoking a joint first thing in the morning is the only way to get through his day. And I'm glad I don't have a job like that. And then I got to thinking that maybe it's the only way he gets through Tim Horton's.

No comments: