Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween


The candles are blown out and the lights are off and I'm just about ready to sit down to a big bowl of Caramilks and Mars Bars and "America's Next Top Model". (Shut up. I'm not proud of myself.) Halloween is all over for another year.
This was another beautiful, mild night; a pleasure to be out walking around in. When I was a kid, I remember Halloweens where we had to wear snowsuits and boots and trudge through slush. I guess global warming has some benefits.
I'm amazed that kids that are too exhausted to pick up their shoes or bring their dishes over to the sink can tear from house to house to house at Mach 1 for up to two hours. I suppose that if I handed them candy at the end of it, they'd manage to find the energy to do chores, too.
On the bus this morning, there was a woman wearing what appeared to be blue satin harem pants and sparkling gold high heels. sitting across from me. I really hope that was part of a Halloween costume. She got off at the hospital, and if it wasn't a Halloween costume, I think they employ hookers there now.
I also saw a pirate walking down Richmond Street (at least I think it was a pirate. Maybe it was just a really campy gay guy. Hard to tell sometimes.), a Tickle-Me-Elmo and a woman that was either the Queen or a bag-lady.
When I was out taking the kids on their rounds, one of the neighbours asked me what I was dressed up as, and I replied "the scariest thing on earth: a cranky suburban housewife. Beware."
And on that note, I'll retire with my chocolate and a cup of tea. And tomorrow, all will be right with the world.

No comments: